Nearly three months have passed since I walked away from my cush corporate gig and into the less stable – but far more rewarding – world of entrepreneurship. It’s been a whirlwind of excitement and new challenges since then, and I haven’t looked back.
Has it been scary leaving all that security? At times. Do I work my ass off more than ever now? You bet. Would I make the same decision again? HELL YES. There's nothing more rewarding than doing work you love that changes people lives for the better, and now I get to do it everyday.
But, now, on to the most important part of this post…. pancakes.
As a health coach, chef, nutrition junkie, and avid foodie, I get a lot of requests for my recipes. Problem is, for most of my life, my culinary endeavors were accompanied by very little documentation. But, with my sights now set on publishing a cookbook, that is slowly changing, so you're in luck! With that said, let’s get back to those pancakes.
This recipe is fairly quick to prepare, so don't be deceived by the number of ingredients, many of which are simply spices. And it’s grain-free and dairy-free because that’s how I roll.
PUMPKIN SPICE PANCAKES
6 pastured eggs
¼ c + 2TB coconut milk
1 TB raw honey
½ c coconut flour
¼ c pumpkin puree
1 TB cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cloves
2 TB coconut oil, melted
1. Preheat electric skillet to 350F (or medium heat if using a stovetop skillet).
2. Combine all ingredients, except for the optional add-ins, in your Vitamix or other food processor and blend just until you have a batter. Then fold in the add-ins by hand if you choose to use them.
3. Pour batter onto skillet, making 3-4 inch pancakes.
4. Cook 3-4 minutes per side. Note: these won't bubble like traditional pancakes, so monitor them to ensure they do not burn. I suggest sliding a spatula underneath one after 3 mins to see how well it slides under the pancake and to check for doneness on the underside.
5. Once finished cooking, plate and serve the pancakes as-is or with 100% pure maple syrup.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!